Cross Culture Communication Class

Sunday, May 27, 2007

1.Are feelings emotions and facial expressions universal across borders, happy, sad, etc...?
Yes. I think feelings emotions and facial expressions are very similar all over the world. For example, we open our eyes wide when we are very surprised, we smile when we are happy and we raise our eyebrows when we are irritated or angry.

2. Try to name as many feelings as possible in Japanese. ( 10 minimum) Now write the English translation.
English & Japanese
 ①happy : 嬉しい
 ②sad : 悲しい
 ③angry : 怒る
 ④painful : 苦しい
 ⑤fun : 楽しい
 ⑥nostalgic : 懐かしい
 ⑦scary : 怖い
 ⑧exciting : わくわくする
 ⑨disappointed : がっかりする
 ⑩lonely : 寂しい

3. Are there any feelings in Japanese that cannot be translated into English?
Yes. For example, "setsunai(せつない)", "yabai(やばい)","bimyou(ビミョー)"

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger sunny said...

Hi, winnie the pooh. If you translate 'bimyou' in English, what do you say in English?

3:50 AM  
Blogger Rolf said...

I don't raise my eyebrows when I'm irritated or angry, I lower them. I can't really describe it, I guess you have to see it.

8:25 PM  
Blogger sky blue said...

I also think that smile is a universal facial expression. Smile has the power that makes another person feel good. So smiling is important.

4:07 PM  
Blogger samantha said...

I red your blog. I could'n image the feelings in Japanese that cannot be transrated into English, but I was satisfied about your opinions. "setsunai" and " bimyou" surely are not transrated into English, I think so to.

12:50 AM  
Blogger Winnie the Pooh said...

Thank you for reading, sunny.
If I translate "bimyou" in English, maybe I say "It is a little difficult to understand or agree with your idea."

7:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home